Dr Martin Wund, portrait photo from 1932.

(German National Museum Nuremberg, Bavarian Association of Chemists, jubilee album of the Collegium pharmaceuticum Norimbergense)

Kirchenstrasse is circled in red. In the middle of the picture is the junction of Harsdörfferstrasse and Regensburgerstrasse. To the left of the junction is St. Peter’s Church, to the right the tram depot and the cemetery of St. Peter. Aerial photo 1927.

(Nuremberg City Archives, A97, No. 374)

Dr. Martin Wund

(1875-1939)

Location of stone: Kirchenstrasse 27 District: St. Peter
Laying of stone: 26 June 2022 Sponsor: Dr Christiane Engel

Biography

On 26 June 2022 Gunter Demnig laid ten stumbling stones at eight different locations in the city. On the initiative of Dr Christiane Engel these included a stone for the Jewish chemist Dr Martin Wund, who took his own life in 1939.  

Martin Wund was born on 12 March 1875 in Breslau. His parents were the businessman Siegbert Wund and his wife Regina (née May). Martin studied pharmacy, obtained his doctorate and became a pharmacist. 

In October 1908 he married Emilie Wagner in Darmstadt. The daughter of building inspector Heinrich Wagner and his wife Althena (née Firman), Emilie was born on 3 September 1874. She was a Protestant and Martin converted to Protestantism. 

In January the couple moved from Remlingen to Nuremberg. Martin opened the Albrecht Dürer Apotheke at Wirthstrasse 44.

Despite his conversion he was still considered a Jew under the “Nuremberg Laws”. In 1934 he leased his pharmacy to a non-Jewish operator. From 1936 onwards this move was unavoidable because Jewish pharmacists were not allowed to run their own businesses. 

The licences of Jewish pharmacists were terminated on 31 January 1939. This was the equivalent of expropriation, as only pharmacists could lease to pharmacists. 

In order for his “Aryan” wife, to obtain the lease as a pharmacist’s widow, Dr Martin Wund took his own life in Nuremberg’s main railway station on 27 January 1939. Dr Aenny Hauer, who wrote out the death certificate in 1939, attested in 1948 – on the basis of the suicide letter that he left behind – that he had been driven to take his own life. 

Sources:

- Nuremberg City Archives C21/X Nr. 9 registration card.

- Christiane Engel: Die Apothekengeschichte Nürnbergs im 19. und 20. Jahrhundert bis zur Niederlassungsfreiheit (Quellen und Studien zur Geschichte der Pharmazie 106), Stuttgart 2016, pp. 210ff.